Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Mariah yoking is complete!

Finally! The yoke that never ended, ended. I was all set to start seaming and then opted (after reading suggestions) to do the right thing and block her before seaming.
Mariah is blocked!


I opted for a collar vs. a hood. It's a better fit for me.

Things I have learned from this pattern (so far, I'm sure more awaits with the whole seaming process):

1. Charts are read right to left AND left to right depending on right side vs. wrong side. Fortunately I realized this before making any deathly errors.

2. If you are tired, do NOT attempt chart reading and cabeling. Something will get messed up requiring more time and effort and irritation.

3. Pay attention if doing both sleeves at a time - it's really easy to add an extra row to one sleeve and wonder why your side cables don't look right from sleeve to sleeve. Which (depending on how anal you are) will once again require more time and effort and EXTREME irritation.

4. It is easier to lengthen a sleeve with blocking vs. shrinking a sleeve with blocking. Those of us with long arms frequently suffer from in between sleeve length issues - the item initially fits until washing and then once it is washed is somewhere between being 3/4 length and looking just plain dorky. Wanting to avoid the dorky syndrome - especially with my first sweater - I opted for a little extra length, then found myself needing a couple extra rows due to where I was in the chart, and have now found myself with sleeves that I know are going to be too freaking long. Won't know just how too freaking long until assembly is complete.

5. Expect mistakes. Then expect to learn to live with them, or drive yourself insane. Some of my cabeling took interesting turns in retrospect. The good news is I kind of like it and fortunately it's consistent on both sleeves.

It's nice being in the home stretch of sweater making. Once she is seamed, I'm taking her to my local dry cleaners so they can put the zipper in. I don't (yet) own a sewing machine and feel better having someone with experience do this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Korin said...

I too have a mariah with ridiculously long sleeves... Lesson learned. Now as I work on ribbi Cardi, I wonder if I should add the extra inch or not! (with mariah, i added two.)

Thursday, May 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home