Saturday, August 18, 2007

I may have to hand in my knitting needles

Good thing there aren't Knitting Police in real life. Sigh.

How many books, how many times have I read about dye lot color. I'm heading into the home stretch of the body of Eris. I count my stitches to make sure I'm on track. I measure how many inches I've knit from the armpit down. As I spread the sweater out on my table I notice that there's this odd variation in the color. In stripes. What the........?? Maybe it's the light. Nope, not the light.

Maybe it's one of those freak dye lot "accidents" where it's the same dye lot but definitely not the same shading. Or maybe I didn't pay attention when I bought the yarn and bought 2 different freakin' dye lots. Ding - we have a winner!

By god, I bought 2 different dye lots. Such a rookie mistake. Ugh. I can't freakin' believe it.

All I can say is that I was under the siren song of a yarn sale. And must've mistaken the color number for the lot number. Criminey.

There's not much I can do about it at this point other than to frog the entire sweater. I'm not about to go back and knit each row in alternating dye lots. Even I am not that anal. And I don't have enough of each dye lot to use just one. But I've separated what I have and should have enough to finish the body with one and do both sleeves with the other. Maybe.

One dye lot is more grey purple, the other less grey more purple. You can notice the lighter stripe right across the boob line.



Other than that it's coming along nicely. It's a bit longer than it should be at this stage so I'm going to frog 4-6 rows before heading into the hem section.

Stopped by my LYS yesterday and picked up some very yummy sock yarn they just got in.



Araucania Ranco - hand dyed in Chile by Araucunia Yarns. Yum, yum, yum. 75% wool, 25% polyamide, 376 yds. The plan is to transform it into a pair of socks for my dad for xmas. Starting in August means there's a pretty good chance they'll be ready in time.

I also picked up some good 'ol Plymouth Encore. I'm going to swatch it with some DK alpaca I have. Curious to see what it looks like stranded together. Hopefully it will become a scarf for my brother. The scarf I talked to him about before last xmas. I was originally going to use the alpaca and make him Matthew's Scarf. Unfortunately the stitch pattern didn't show up for shit in the black. So it was put on the back burner. If they don't look good stranded together then I'll just use the Encore and it will be something he can throw in the washer and dryer.



While I've been working on Eris, Dan mentioned that he'd really like to have a sweater. Especially since I have so many. I only have 2 1/2. I had actually bought a skein of Peace Fleece last winter in this really nice deep blue greenr that I thought he'd like. The plan was to swatch it and see what it wanted to do.



I've been keeping my eye out for different men's sweater patterns. There's lots that I like. Unfortunately Dan and I don't have similar tastes. I like cables or interesting stitch patterns. He likes simple, plain, aka b.o.r.i.n.g. I thought he might like Cobblestone Pullover. Nope. He wants a plain stockinette stitch raglan with ribbed cuffs and bottom band. Yawn.

Oh well, I guess it'll be good tv knitting. Not sure if I want to do it top down or bottom up. But if the pattern's going to bore me to tears I damn well better enjoy the yarn. I think Peace Fleece should fit the bill.

I bought the new Interewave Knits. And it's so tempting to say I will only knit for me, me, me!!!

I actually have some yarn in my stash that should work nicely for the Tangled Yoke Cardigan. I bought they yarn almost 3 years ago before my first LYS went out of business. It was on the 40% off shelf. I had no idea what I was going to make from it, I had only just started knitting. But I thought it was a good deal. It's Jo Sharp DK Wool Tweed in Oatmeal. I've started swatching it and it's interesting. Reminds me a bit of cotton - not a lot of give to it, but nice and squishy in the swatch.

Other lusts from IK are the Tilted Duster - love, love, love it and the Minimalist Cardigan - although I'd probably make the sleeves full length.

Then there's the socks. My favorites are Ambrosia, Genome, and Honeycomb.

And branching out from IK, I have my eye on Banff from Knitty. I've got some nice brick red Jamieson's Chunky Shetland in my stash that could work quite nicely.

As soon as I finish my Christmas knitting :-).

4 Comments:

Blogger Korin said...

Oh FUUUUUCK. that is my worst nightmare! WORST. seriously. You are taking it way better than I would have. I would have screamed bloody murder and cussed at the sky. But, you're much more mature than I am any day of the week. lol
I love the tangled cardi, it's also on my list...
but I'm in LOVE with the tilted duster. :)
I just bought a bunch of silkywool that I think may become an hourglass sweater first tho. :)

Saturday, August 18, 2007  
Blogger Jo028 said...

Sorry about your Eris nightmare. If perfectionist says frog, then they're right. although I can't see any visible difference on my monitor!

Monday, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, I did say a few fucks myself Korin :-). But it's not so bad that I won't enjoy wearing it, but I'm sure a fellow knitter would be able to recognize what happened when seeing it in person. Oh well. Someday I'll have the "perfect" sweater! Until then, I'll enjoy what I have.

Monday, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

That sucks - I wouldn't call it a rookie mistake, I never pay attention to dyelot when I'm picking things off the shelf although your lesson makes me think I should! =)

Sunday, October 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home