Thursday, September 25, 2008

More fiber goodies

First I shall announce the (almost) completion of Eris! The only thing that remains is that I sew in the zipper, well first I have to find a zipper to sew in. Regardless of zipper status, she shall finally get worn this winter!



There she is blocking.



Wing of the Moth is coming along slowly but surely. I am going to love this when it's done!

And here is the unveiling of more fiber. I'm finding fiber to be far more addicting than yarn. Good thing I've been able to sell off some of my yarn stash!



Spunky Eclectic
Burning Bush colorway, merino and silk. My first attempt at spinning singles. Slow and steady is the key. Amy's colorway's are amazing!



Luscious Abby Silk, Tuscany colorway, purchased from The Spinning Loft. Beth is awesome! My first attempt at lace weight yarn. It's slow going because it's so thin, but this fiber is so amazing!



More goodies from The Spinning Loft. I love doing business with great people! On the top is some Australian Wool, hand dyed by the amazing PippeeKneeSocks. The 2 braids in the middle are more Abby Silk, Faded Rose colorway. The braid on the bottom is more PippeeKneeSocks in the Pagoda colorway. The fiber is Masham which is a long wool and Beth has raved about.

I'm also super excited to be able to take advantage of some of the classes that Beth is offering. I'll be taking all 3 of the classes that Abby Franquemont is teaching December 5th and 6th - Low and High Whorl Spindle, Fabulous Blended Batts and Blended Fibers: Carding and Spinning. I have a feeling I'll be wanting a drum carder after this. I'm also debating going up for the November 1st Breeds Exploration class. I think that would be a lot of fun and a great opportunity to learn about different wools. I feel so lucky that Beth is within driving distance, about 3 1/2 hours.



And from the lovely Amy at Spunky Ecletic I have some Blue Faced Leister (BFL) top. The top braid is Gin & Tonic colorway and the bottom braid is Sangria.



More Spunky Eclectic goodies. We have BFL in Toronto (on top) and Alpaca/Corriedale in Monkey Farts (how could anyone resist a name like that?!). I am also super excited that this month spaces opened up in Amy's fiber club and I moved off the wait list into the club!! Each month she hand dies a club exclusive. The suspense builds until some lucky person gets their package in the mail and shares pics over on the Spunky forum on Ravelry.

And now is the unveiling of my goodies from the annual Yellow Springs Wool Gathering last weekend. My goal was to get fibers that I haven't yet played with. I achieved the goal :).



Yes, this is an Abby Batt. And yes, I have 2 other Abby Batts. But it was so much fun to spy these in the middle of the tent and ask the vendor "Are these Abby Batts??" I unfortunately didn't write down the fiber info, but I'm pretty sure the colorway is Grape Crush and it's merino and tussah silk. And unfortunately I don't know the name of the vendor.



Here we have llama fiber. So amazingly soft. I purchased this from Donna Berbig of Berbig's Woods Llamas in Bristolville, OH. Funny story here. Last year when we went I was dying to try out a spinning wheel. Donna was kind enough to let me try her's - I think she had an Ashford Kiwi. I was afraid I was going to completely mess up her yarn but she was very gracious. It was great fun to see her again this year and tell her that I now have my very own wheel.




Here are some silk hankies from River's Edge Weaving Studio
Can't wait to give those a try.



Also from River's Edge Weaving Studio is White Baby Camel and Mulberry Silk Top 50/50 and the caramel colored one is Baby Camel with Bleached Tussah Silk Top 50/50.

Last but certainly not least is some luscious alpaca. Yuuummmm. This is from Frontier Fiber Mill in Indiana. Lisa is a hoot. She loves mixing fibers and creating yarns. Kind of a mad scientist type :). The lighter caramel colored one is 4.8oz and the striped one is 7.5oz.





All in all it was a lot of fun!

6 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Love your newly spun yarn. I've had one spinning lesson so far but haven't had time to practice. I really should before I forget. Have fun at the soul collage tonight!

Friday, September 26, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, drooling. I love the Spunky Eclectic fiber.

And where are you selling yarn that I missed it?!?

:-D

Saturday, September 27, 2008  
Blogger korin said...

oooh eris! i shall knit again some day, i shall! :)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008  
Blogger Faith said...

I love all of the new fibers you've acquired! Yes, it's definitely important to experience as many different kinds of wool, etc. as possible. For...research and stuff, you know. =)

Sunday, October 12, 2008  
Blogger Xuskagg said...

LLLLLUV yr fibers! Lisa, i am so hooked on spinning it is ridiculous! The only reason I am not spinning right now is because ALL OF MY FREAKING BOBBINS ARE FULL! I cannot wait to try a couple of your fiber vendors. After you recommended them (Spunky E), I went and checked them out online--OH DROOL! All I want for Christmas this year is FIBER! My family thinks I am kidding ... but I'm NOT!

Monday, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Nikki said...

Hi Lisa,

I hope you get this comment. You had left me a comment on my blog saying you could help me with my insurance situation.

Please let me know your email address - or you can email me at nikks71@gmail.com

Thanks so much for reaching out to me.

- Nikki

Saturday, December 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home